Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saraswa - Yana (2007)

I'm always on the lookout for really chill jazz or piano music, yet it seems that both styles are largely relegated to commercial hacks making background music for housewives that want something to hide their worries behind. Suffice to say, I'm generally loathe to even research the topic, as trudging through smooth jazz and its ilk is something I will not spend my time on.

Thanks to a bit of random luck and blind grabbing, I just came across Saraswa's album Yana, which features beautifully simple piano compositions intertwined with electronic ambience in the mellowest of ways. Seeing as the artist's name is derived from an Indian goddess of art and creativity, it's not surprising to note a little bit of ethnic sound whispering around in the songs. The music is not exceptionally emotive in any certain way, but it manages to attain an utmost peace with a nice touch of depth to the textures, and that's right fine with me.

Verdict: Win [4/5] (watch all the pretty eyes go by)

http://www.myspace.com/saraswa

No comments: